Wednesday, July 29, 2009

PMP-in'

So this isn't weight loss related, but since this blog is "all about Pam" - I thought I could go here.

I am in the process of getting my PMP certification. PMP stands for Project Management Professional. I have wanted to get this certification for quite a few years, but I wanted someone else to pay for it. :)

The acredidation is not an easy one to obtain - especially if (like me) you do not have a college degree. Then you need to provide proof of almost double the amount of experience in project management that someone with a college degree doesn't have to provide. I have to provide 5 years of project management experience and 35 hours of project management education on the application. Once the application is accepted I am allowed the privilege of taking the exam. The exam is 4 hours long and is 200 questions and many people fail it the first time. I also get the privilege of PAYING to take the exam - over $400 (if you are a member of PMI - $$555 if you are not).

So I just completed my application process. That in and of itself took me a good week's worth of time to compile all of the information and then enter it online. PMI now has to accept the application. I am told I will be notified in a couple of days. I am quite nervous as I know a few people who have had their applications audited. That shouldn't be a problem for me - it's just a pain if they decide to do that. they would go through and verify with each of my manager's that what I put in my application is true.

Next I am slated to take a "Boot Camp" class to prepare to take the exam. The class is all about how to take the exam. It assumes you know the information that the exam will test you on (The Project Management Book of Knowledge 4th edition - or PMBOK as it's widely known) and basically just prepares you to take the exam. I take the class in the middle of August. I am hoping to then schedule my exam within a month of taking the class.

Having submitted my application for this credential I am suddenly wrought with anxiety. I have wanted to get this certification for years. But have also been happy to put it off. They recently changed the exam to match the changes to the PMBOK - so that is one reason for me to be nervous - not a lot of people have taken this edition of the exam yet. I am even running up against having trouble finding the latest version of study guides and practice exams. It is a lot of time and energy to put towards something and then fail. I know because I have done something similar to this back in 2000. I got my certification as a Microsoft Certified Professional in Analyzing Requirements and Designing Solution Architecture. I took that freakin' test 3 times before I passed! I missed by 2 questions the first time and 1 question the second time before passing by 4 questions the 3rd time. It was awful to go through all the studying - the gut wrenching exam - hit the "submit" button and then have them say "So Sad Too Bad". I am so not doing that again.

So now I am waiting to see if my application was approved. I don't want to get too ahead of myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show me some love people!