Wednesday, January 20, 2010

2010 Torch Run and Polar Plunge


On February 20, 2010 I will be running in the 2010 Torch Run at NC State to benefit the Special Olympics. The Torch Run is a 5K run through NC State campus. You will notice the words “Polar Plunge” on the graphic to the left. There is a polar plunge into Lake Raleigh following the race. If I can raise $100 to support this great cause, I pledge to take part in the Polar Plunge and jump into Lake Raleigh following the race.


For more than four decades, Special Olympics North Carolina (SONC) has helped thousands of children and adults with intellectual disabilities realize new dreams through sports training and competition. As a result, most athletes’ lives are changed forever, from improved physical fitness and sports skills to enhanced self-confidence and social competency.

Special Olympics athletes in North Carolina are never charged a fee to compete. All of the athletes’ expenses – including training, uniforms, and travel related costs – are paid for through generous donations from individuals and businesses.

If you would like to donate to:

  • This great cause
  • Help me raise $100
  • See me freeze my tukas off in Lake Raleigh on February 20
then please visit my fundraising page at www.firstgiving.com/pameladevries to make a secure online donation. Any amount to matter how small (or large) would be greatly appreciated.

I'm sure that if I do raise the money and do make the plunge there will pictures to be posted - so stay tuned!

Thanks!

Edited To Add: Just hours after posting this and emailing a few people about it I hit the $100 mark! Holy Cow! You people are awesome! Or sadistic - I haven't decided. Anyway - I will definitely be taking the plunge as I promised, but I am going to raise my goal, and I am thinking about other incentives I can come up with to promote the fundraising for this fantastic cause.  All suggestions are welcome!  But please don't stop donating just because I hit $100.  I may have to sell sponsorships or something at this point - like writing your name somewhere on myself while I run or plunge or something.  :) 

For those of you who have asked about the best way to donate - it is online through the link I posted above (also found as a widget on the right side of this blog). 

If you are local - make sure you come out and see this spectacle for yourself!  It promises to be quite the site.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show me some love people!