Saturday, August 28, 2010

Let's hope this works

OK - so I had a laparoscopic transgastric approach endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography with sphincterotomy yesterday.  Apparently my Sphincter of Oddi was very narrow - about the size of a pin head.  When the surgeon went in and cut it open he said that the bile and sludge really started to flow.  So he feels the surgery was a success and he said he has a 99% success rate with this procedure.  While I'm not at all happy that I had one more thing go wrong this year, I am at least relieved that we have found a reason for it, and everyone feels that I will stop having bouts of pancreatitis now and will start to feel much better.

Unfortunately, one of the side effects of the procedure I had done is that I actually have another bout of pancreatitis.  This is because they were in there messing with it.  It's not as bad as my past bouts by any means - but it means that I will be here in the hospital through the rest of the weekend as pancreatitis is nothing to mess with.

I also just started itching really bad all over.  We think it is a reaction to the morphine I had in the OR.  All I know is I'm about to scratch my ever lovin' skin right off.  EVERYTHING itches.  And I am quite sore from the surgery - it was laparoscopic so that helps - but it appears as though they bruised one of my ribs with one of the trocars.  All the extra skin makes things difficult and there was a lot of tugging and pulling.

So I have been here in the hospital for 6 days - will be here for 7 or 8 at this point.  It's kinda lonely.  I miss my family and my bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show me some love people!