Sunday, May 24, 2009

Ruminations

I posted a little while ago that I was in the midst of a stall. After talking to my nutritionist as well as some other WLS veterans it appears that I am not taking in enough calories. I don't even know what to say here. I have never had this problem before - this is definitely unchartered territory.

I record my eating and daily activities in a website called The Daily Plate. After reviewing my daily intake - I average about 850 calories a day. On a day that I run I burn anywhere from 450 to 500 calories in a workout. So it appears as though my body is in starvation mode. Even if I wasn't running - 850 calories is still not enough.

I am totally conflicted here. Surgery worked. I am not hungry. In fact, I find that a lot of days I am actually repulsed by food. How weird is that? It is work for me to get 850 calories in. I feel like I am thinking about food all the time. Like I didn't think about food this much when I was taking in triple the amount of calories in a day. How crazy is that?

So I am also not getting in enough fluids - and that is not good when you run. I have had one instance after a big run that I was totally dehydrated. It was downright scary. I was dangerously close to passing out - I could see the black starting to take over my vision and I was having trouble breathing.

So if I don't figure out how to turn this around soon I think I might go crazy. I need to up my calories, but I want to do it smartly. I don't want to up my calories with empty calories - I want to fuel my body.

I also need to get in my water and fluids. This is just plain difficult. I feel like I get bloated very quickly lately. As a result, it can be hard to just choke down some more water, etc... It is jus so strange to now be faced with a problem like not getting in enough calories!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show me some love people!