Monday, February 2, 2009

Yuck!

So the last couple of days have been pretty rough. Just when I thought I had mastered my WLS!

I have been trying to move from pureed foods to soft foods and it really had not been going well. Kanga was refunding the Roo quite regularly. I had decided to move back to just liquids, but even that was making me ill. I had feared a stricture was developing. A stricture is where scar tissue forms where the new pouch and the new entrance to the intestines are sewn together. Sometimes the scar tissue can get in the way and not allow food to pass through. The stricture can get so bad that it can even get to where liquids can not go through.

So I called the surgeons office today and talked to the nurse practitioner. She wanted to try something else before doing an endoscopy to rule out stricture. She prescribed something called Carafate for me. This will rule out anything kind of gastro-intestinal that may be going on with the lining, etc... that could be upsetting Kanga. I take it 30 minutes before eating and it kinda coats everything and makes it so that when I eat it's a little easier. It's nastiness in it's purest form to be sure, but so far seems to be doing the trick. I hope that this does work because me and endoscopy's are not friends. The last one I had (when I was having gallbladder problems) was horrific. They give you versed and you go into like a twilight sleep. You aren't under - just conscious enough to respond to commands, but you don't remember anything. Well, they had to back out the versed half way through and wake me all the way up because I was gagging uncontrollably. So I got to be awake for most of my endoscopy - and let me tell you - I would just rather forget.

So I'm hoping and praying that this is the answer and I don't have to go in for an endoscopy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show me some love people!