Tuesday, December 23, 2008

5 More Days!

I had my pre-op appointment at the hospital today. I filled out a bunch of paperwork about my insurance, and then met with a surgical nurse to go over my medical history. I had some blood drawn for type and screen purposes and met with the anesthesiologist that will be taking such wonderful care of me during my surgery. I lovingly refer to him as The Candy Man. It turns out he is the same anesthesiologist that I had when I had my hysterectomy earlier this year. He did a fantastic job then - I had no nausea after that surgery at all. So I am glad to have him taking such good care of me this time as well.

I also got a call from Dr. Enoch's office today. There was a cancellation on the day of my surgery, so my surgery time has been moved up from 5:00pm to 1:45pm. That is good news for me since I will not be allowed to eat much of anything for a couple of days before (on a clear liquid diet) and won't even be able to drink anything on that day.

I also had a group of friends from work take me out for one last "work lunch" today. That was very nice. I feel like I need to have a few "last" things that I won't be able to have for a while. My co-worker, Lori, made these fantastic buckeyes and brought them in to work. Peanut butter and chocolate are God's little gift to me I think. I treasured the two I got in a little package from her. They were so good. But I'm also trying not to over-indulge too much - if I gain weight Dr. Enoch's could pull the plug and cancel my surgery. He has been known to do so. I was encouraged when I got on the scale at the pre-op appt. today that I had actually lost 3 pounds since my last appt. with Dr. Enochs a couple of weeks ago.

A lot of people have been asking me if I'm excited about my surgery on Monday. YES I AM! I am very excited. But today I had my first twinges of nervous-ness. That's not like me. Surgery doesn't make me nervous - I've had a lot of them over the years. But the reality of the changes I am about to endure are starting to hit me. Don't get me wrong - I'm on board - I still want this and I'm still very excited, but I'm nervous. What if I'm not good at this? What if it's hard? What if my tastes change? What if I can't find protein drinks that I like? What if I don't loose weight? What if I'm a failure? What if the recovery is more than I am anticipating?

But I am so ready for a new me. I am ready for some big changes in my life. I can do this. As my wonderful husband has said "You're Pam! Go big or stay home!" So let's do this!

2 comments:

  1. That's right... You are PAM who goes for the gusto... and you will do just fine with this, too. We'll all be there to encourage you along the way. What you are feeling is definitely understandable. Hang in there girl... and don't make me break out my cheerleading outfit from high school. ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to go out on a limb and say it would be really hard to NOT lose weight this way. You'll do great and you'll get such a boost of energy and personal encouragement that I think you'll probably wonder where the real you has been all these years. Merry Chrismas...hope you had a great day!

    ReplyDelete

Show me some love people!