Sunday, December 28, 2008

More than just the physical

So God has been working on my heart today - the day before my surgery - that this change MUST be about more than just the physical - it must be spiritual - a total transformation of my life.

The first was a radio piece that I was listening to on the way to church this morning. It was about Mike Huckabee, former governor and presidential candidate. They talked about how he had lost over 100 pounds a few years ago and how he had to confront a few of his own demons regarding his faith and how he had mistreated his body which is considered a temple. Specifically looking at the sin of gluttony - you know - that one no one wants to talk about? :)

Then I had church this morning. I do video projection for our church and whenever I am on for video projection I have to do all 3 services. So I had a chance to ruminate over the message 3 times! :) It was about Pressing on in 2009. As the new year approaches lots of people are prone to making resolutions. I've never really been one to make resolutions - I can't take the guilt when I fail! But seeing as how I am having WLS and I have been feeling like 2009 would be my year - the year to make the changes I have been struggling with for so long. But I am struck with the knowledge that these changes have to be complete and total. I can't just have WLS and eat less and exercise - building those new physical habits without addressing the other vital part of my being - my spiritual being - would just be a recipe for failure.

The sermon was based on Philippians 3:10-14.

I want to know Christ and the power of his resurrection and the fellowship of sharing in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, 11and so, somehow, to attain to the resurrection from the dead.
Pressing on Toward the Goal 12Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. 13Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, 14I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.


So taking the outline of the sermon - this is some of what God was laying on my heart. First are the four goals outlined in the above text.
  1. To know Jesus more - For me to turn my focus more to Jesus and less on myself - especially as I face the next few months and re-evaluate my relationship with food. Instead of turning to food I need to be turning to my Lord for my satisfaction.
  2. To experience His power - God still works in miraculous ways. I want to be an open vessel to Him - not only to experience His power - but to help others see it.
  3. To share in His sufferings - Pastor Ben said today that Any time there is suffering - there is a call to intimacy. I'm fairly certain that the next week or so will bring me some suffering as I sever my relationship with food. In replacement I need to drawing nearer to God. Pastor Ben also said that if you are not willing to go through the pain - your vision or dream is not very big. I have a big dream and I am finally willing to do the hard things required to achieve it.
  4. To strive in eternal life - Keep your eye on the ultimate prize - what's truly important - when Jesus is at the center all other things fall in to place. You must have long term goals to keep from being frustrated by short term failures. I must remember I'm in this for the long haul.

But besides goals, Paul gave us ways to accomplish those goals in his letter to the Philippians as well.

  1. Have a humble attitude - all I could think was "Pamelot"! Yeah - me and humility - I got some work to do there.
  2. Maintain a singular focus - In Christ alone I place my trust.
  3. Remember God's claim on your life - my calling is to worship God with my life. If I am worthy of His calling - why have I been treating my body this way?
  4. Do not be imprisoned by your past - whether it's bad and you are stuck in guilt, or whether they were better times and you wish you could bring them back. Don't look back - don't rest on it - rest in the Lord.
  5. Run the race today as if it were your last - no more excuses - no more postponing what I know needs to be done.

So as I sit here eyeing the cookies my kids are having with their lunch while I am surviving on clear liquids, I am encouraged by all that I have heard this morning. God is working on me - changing me from the inside out - literally and figuratively! I need to learn to subsist on Him!

2 comments:

  1. Interesting. We've been going over Phillipians the past 7 weeks at our church as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good thoughts, Pam... and ones to continue "chewing on" as your week progresses. I will be praying for you. God will give you ALL you need to get through this and, like you said, change you from the INSIDE... out. :)

    ReplyDelete

Show me some love people!