Tuesday, December 30, 2008

I'm on the Loser's Bench!

So surgery went well yesterday. I woke up feeling very nauseous, but the wonderful nurses here at Rex Hospital took care of me and I managed to get through it without actually getting sick. It has been a little bit more painful that I had thought it would be. I think it's mainly the gas that they pump into your belly for the laparoscopic procedure. It's not nearly as bad as my open hysterectomy was earlier this year. I have been up and walking around several times since about 10:00pm last night. For some reason I couldn't sleep very well last night - I was up most of the night, despite hitting my "Happy Button" several times.

So now I am just waiting for my barium swallow test. It's an contrast x-ray that they will do to ensure that there are no leaks. I am not allowed to have anything to drink until this test confirms that there are no leaks. I have only been able to use a small sponge on a stick (think lollipop) to coat my lips. No swallowing any of the water in it. Once that test is done I will be able to start back on clear liquids. I need to have 1-2 ounces every 15 minutes as long as I'm awake. Honestly, at this point, that sounds like an awful lot. When I went off to surgery I was SO HUNGRY. I had never been so hungry. But I am so NOT HUNGRY now. It's true what they say - it's like a switch - I'm not hungry.

The nutritionist just came in to see me and see if I had any questions about my transition. She was very informative and helped me with a few questions about my vitamins and medications. I have my multi-vitamins in liquid form, as well as my calcium and B-12 in liquid form. I had my current prescriptions changed so that I could crush them.

I'm going to take a little nap while I'm waiting to go to XRay. Thank you to all of you who have been checking in on me! It means more to me than you will ever know!

Check in with y'all later!

4 comments:

  1. Oh Pam! You've always been a loser in my book!
    :-) Glad it all went well!! Here's to pierced belly buttons and leotards :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey pam! so glad you're updating the blog already. reading along...and thinking of you muchly.
    ~liz

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so excited for you! Loser my butt...You are a winner in my world! So glad you are able to keep us posted. Love you much! ~dcb

    ReplyDelete
  4. you know i am pulling for you!! love ya
    carol

    ReplyDelete

Show me some love people!