Monday, May 24, 2010

The New 90/10 Rule

OK - so Dr. Jalkut is one of my new favorite doctors.  :)  Let's see if I can recap my appointment with him this afternoon.
  • 90% chance that this is kidney cancer - WHOA!
  • I will be having surgery soon - haven't gotten it scheduled yet.  He said if he could do it tomorrow he would.  Kinda glad it's not tomorrow - that's my birthday.  But it will probably be later this week or next week.
  • He will remove my entire kidney. 
  • He will not biopsy the mass as he has seen where during a biopsy they actually spread the cancer from the tumor and the person died of kidney cancer.  So no biopsy - just be done with the kidney since my left kidney looks very healthy.
  • Need 2 things before surgery - a pulmonary CT Scan (which I just had done in the ER a few weeks ago - so they will just get that one) and a bone scan to see if the cancer has metastisized to either the lungs or the bone.
  • Will try to do the surgery laproscopically, but with my history of many abdominal surgeries - that may not be possible.  If the surgery is laproscopic - 2-3 days in the hospital with 2-3 week recovery.  If it's open - 5-7 days in the hospital with 6-8 week recovery.
I think that's it.  Just waiting for the office to call with the appointment for the bone scan, surgery, and my pre-op appointment with Dr. Jalkut.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show me some love people!