Thursday, May 27, 2010

Mmmmmmmmmm Propofol

So Propofol is my new best friend!

I had my upper endoscopy this morning.  Apparently they now use propofol when they do the EGD.  So less chance of you waking up or of them needing to wake you up.  And I dreamed!  I have no idea about what - but I know I dreamed and it was pretty cool.  And then I woke up and I felt fine.  I wasn't hung over and after about 30 minutes I wasn't even that tired.

It went well.  Dr. Hutzenbuhler didn't find anything she was concerned about.  She took some biopsies, but expects them to be fine.  I even got some really cool pictures!  Yeah!  (I think that is the propofol talking.)

As they were prepping me for the procedure you have to answer all those medical questions.  That always takes forever for me.  Yes I have had previous surgeries ... ready?  No really ... ready?  And we list those.  Any family history of ...?  Yup - ready?  And today we had to add the whole discussion of  "Oh, yeah, and by the way - I have a renal mass that I'm waiting to have removed."  UGH.

And, of course, I had to have this conversation with several people.  First the nurse, then the anesthetist.  The anesthetist asked me about the note about the renal mass.  I gave him the run down.  He was very nice and re-assuring that renal cell carcinoma (if it hasn't spread) is very treatable.  Then he grabbed my hand in his and closed his eyes and said a silent prayer for me for just a few seconds.  I smiled and said thank you.  He left my curtained area.  And then ... for the first time since I was told about Elvira ... I cried.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show me some love people!