Saturday, January 3, 2009

Feeling Fantastic!

I can't believe how good I am feeling after this surgery. I'm sure the fact that it was laparoscopic made a huge difference. The surgeries that I have had in the past have all been open. When I had my gallbladder out 2 years ago they tried to do it laparoscopically, but the surgeon found that he could not, so he converted the surgery to open. So It's weird for me to be feeling this good this soon after surgery. I just have one area that is still a bit painful. I talked to the surgeon earlier today and he assures me that I'm doing well and that my "insides are angry" right now. He's not joking! :)

I have been trying to walk a little bit - yesterday I think I did about a half a mile. It was a lot - took a lot out of me, but it's a start. I would love to join a gym this year - as a family - but I'm not sure our finances can take that hit just yet.

This is a definite adjustment for me in the food department. I think this is probably the only way I could divorce myself from the foods I should no longer be eating. I am not physically hungry - that is not the problem. But I literally have to stay out of the kitchen right now. For some reason we have a ton of food in our house right now and it is all calling to me. The delicious food that friends are bringing over for D and the kids, the left over pizza, the cookies, heck - even the toaster taunts me! And I simply can not have them right now even if I wanted to. My new pouch of a stomach is still healing from surgery - if I were to try to eat those things it would be a bad bad thing.

Last night D went to bed early and after the kids went to bed it was like I didn't know what to do with myself. That is usually the time that I eat. No one is looking at me to tell me I don't really need that - no one is giving me "the look". I can eat whatever I want and however much I want. I found myself pacing in the kitchen last night! I just wanted a taste! What is wrong with me? This is ridiculous! I can't eat these things - I just plain can't. This "tool" of WLS has allowed me to by-pass my will power. I have to play by the rules - I can't cheat. There are very specific boundaries for me now. And hopefully by living within those imposed boundaries I can retrain myself to eat better, to exercise, to live life better. Not just for me, but for my family, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show me some love people!