Monday, January 12, 2009

We Need Each Other

So I know that some of you out there think I am totally crazy - living my life here on my blog - letting everyone know I had WLS and giving all the gory details. I got this devotional in my email this morning. It is from Rick Warren and is part of The Purpose Driven Life devotional series. It really put into words a lot of what I have been feeling lately about not only needing support, but giving support to others, and how crucial it is to not only my physical success in this weight loss journey, but also to the spiritual aspect of this journey. This is so much more than a diet or than just losing weight. I am dealing with some major issues emotionally and spiritually on this road. Here is the quote:

Some of us hesitate to commit ourselves to developing an intentional plan of growth that requires accountability or relationship with others because we believe spiritual growth is a personal and private matter. We choose to believe each person develops in his or her own way at his or her own rate.

This is an aberration from the truth.The idolatry of individualism has influenced even the way we think about spiritual growth.So much of the teaching on spiritual formation is self-centered and self-focused without any reference to our relationship to other Christians.

This is completely unbiblical and ignores much of the New Testament. The truth is that Christians need relationships to grow. We don’t grow in isolation from others. We develop in the context of fellowship.

Over and over again in the New Testament we find this basic truth: Believers need relationships with each other to grow! Hebrews 10:24-25 says, “Let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another ” (NIV).

God intends for us to grow up in a family.



So thank you to all of my sisters and brothers helping me along this journey. Your support and encouragement and accountability mean more to me than you will ever know.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Show me some love people!