Sunday, January 4, 2009

Yuck

I'm still doing pretty good. I did develop a very nasty case of thrush last night, though. My whole mouth is covered in it - it's totally nasty. We are in the middle of the pharmacy dance with the surgeon - trying to get the "magic mouthwash" prescription called in correctly so I can deal with it. The thrush is a result of the overabundance of antibiotics I was on in the hospital. As soon as my IV was put in during pre-op I was given a bag of antibiotics. After surgery I had a regimen of 3 IV bags of antibiotics within the next 24 hours. So apparently this is a pretty common occurence between the reaction to the antibiotics and the fact that my body is going into ketosis. What is ketosis you ask? Simply put it means that my body is turning to it's fat stores for energy. WOO HOO!!! Problem is - between the thrush and the ketosis - everything tastes awful. Not the worst problem to have right now I suppose - but I especially hate the taste of water right now. I can't even put words to it - it's gross. The problem I was having yesterday with the drainage tube site seems to have resolved itself, and for that I am very grateful - that was even more gross.

I weighed myself this morning and I am down quite a bit. From my highest weight this fall I am down 26 pounds. From my pre-op hospital appointment I am down 15 pounds. From the day of surgery I am down 8 pounds. Sure sounds like a lot, but I'm not "feeling" it yet. My belly is still fairly swollen from the surgery. As someone recently put it to me - a train ran through them there parts.

I am going back to work tomorrow. I am anxious to get back into the routine of life - get away from my kitchen. Not to mention I have a lot of work to do this month at work!

3 comments:

  1. My Mom had that awful thrush when she came home from the hospital almost four years ago. Hers was much more serious, though, and I am glad you are at least able to get things down. I am keeping you in my prayers as you make this journey. I read everyday... I just may not post something each day. I am really happy for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yuck is right! Thrush is nasty! And my dad post-op swore that water tasted disgusting so you're not alone in that one - he refused to drink it though and at his age it's hard to rationalize with someone :-) Glad you're seeing some results - even if it's just in the number on the scale.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Sweetie. So glad to hear you are doing just great!! Of course I knew you would! Well, I would name the pouch "Kanga" and refer to whatever 'food' you are putting into it as "Roo". Yea, long time since I read Winnie the Pooh, but I liked Roo. :-) I guess next time I see you, you will be dancing on tables! Love ya! Carol

    ReplyDelete

Show me some love people!